Hi! Thanks for checking out my blog. At the moment, I'm studying public health at the Comprehensive Rural Health Project in Jamkhed, India. I'll use this blog to record what I learn about healthcare, India, and myself while I'm here in the rural East. For those of you who are chomping at the bit for details, don't worry, I'll update it daily. Enjoy!



Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Greetings from Hindustan!

Thus far I’ve tried to be friendly with the people I meet while I travel. As a result I’ve met some really cool people. For example, on my way to New York I sat next to a guy named Johnny B who is moving to Manhatten to pursue a career in high-fashion modeling. He also produces his own hip hop music. Really nice guy. And in the airport in Amersterdam, I met a group of students that was heading to a some rural Indian town to set up a chiropractic clinic. They told me that most Indian people have access to X-ray and MRI machines but aren’t able to find professionals to read the results. So, they told me, it’s a funny sight to see these poor Indian people pull high-tech MRI printouts from their robes for the students to read. Although these people were nice and friendly, the most personable people I met in airports were Indian people. Something about them allows you to feel comfortable and at ease. This was especially refreshing because when you're a clueless tourist who has to ask random people where he even is and how to get where he's going, it's nice when the people you're asking are naturally warm and kind. People on the plane introduced themselves to me, asking about my what I'd be doing in India and giving me tips for how to get places the fastest. I sat next to a young Indian mom and her two kids on the plane... she was so sweet to them and they were incredibly well behaved. Especially compared to the drunk American adults sitting nearby who were taking full advantage of the comlimentary beer and wine on the flight. Real quick, whose idea was that?! Complimentary beer and wine for people who are in close quarters with 300 other people for the next 8 hours?! Wow, Delta. Really? Anyway, since arriving at Jamked that notion has only been affirmed. Everyone I pass bows and says “Namaste” which means “Hello”. They smile a lot and offer to drive you places on their go-peds. At first I thought they were doing it expecting that I'd pay them, but not so. Usually, they just grab my hand and kiss it. It's a little flattering and cute, I guess. Anyway, enough for now. I'll write more soon. Like about my wild journey from the airport to this little village I'm in. Seriously, wild.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go b-rice. I love finding out such wonderful things about people.

    ReplyDelete